It’s crucial when you are doing your editing that you know what to look out for and that you take the right approach. What most people consider editing is simply reading over it quickly before it gets printed out, and doing it this way is sure to let some mistakes through and miss important things. We don’t want this to happen to you, and that’s why we’re here to provide you with not only professional help if you want us to complete it, but the best English editing tips and English grammar tips to ensure that you can get it right yourself as well.
Top 10 English Editing Tips
- First you should run your paper through the Microsoft Word editing function. This often misses things and makes mistakes, but it can also catch some tedious things that you might miss.
- Separate different editing and proofreading tasks with a separate read through. Go through once and look for proofreading technical elements, and another take a broader editing look.
- Keep in mind what you want to accomplish with the paper, so that nothing extraneous gets in. Also keep the prompt or requirements in mind, so everything is answered properly.
- Pay close attention to the usage of punctuation. This is the most common area that people make grammar mistakes, and is not only easy to miss, but difficult to correct.
- Look up the formatting type that is expected and make sure that it conforms to all the instructions that you read. Pay attention to things like margins and headings.
- Objectivity is difficult when editing your own work. If you can’t get someone else to read it, then take a few hours after you’ve finished writing it to get some distance so you can make the right decisions.
- Pay attention to structure, not just overall but within paragraphs. Look for introductory and concluding paragraphs, as well as topic sentences. Make sure that the opening and close is satisfactory and conclusive.
- Ensure that you use the proper tone. The tone depends on the subject, but be aware if you’re being more serious and formal, or lighthearted and informal, and ensure everything conforms to this.
- Check your bibliography. Make sure that you properly cite everything by the formatting guidelines that you looked up.
- Don’t rely too much on things like Spell Check or grammar check, they can be unreliable and make mistakes. It’s crucial you do a careful and high quality job yourself.