Why Do You Need a Proofreading Sample to Help You?
Proofreading a paper is a lot more involved than just looking through what has been written, checking for simple grammar mistakes or correcting typos here and there. Carried out properly, a successful proofread is a lot more thorough and corrects errors of punctuation, sentence structure, similar sounding words and even replacing words with better ones to make it easier to read. Many people fail to realize just how important it is to be able to switch off from the content of what has been written and just concentrate on finding mistakes. It is a very difficult skill which takes many years to perfect properly with the need to have a thorough knowledge of the subject, a wide vocabulary and the ability to express ideas concisely in order to do the job properly. Find out how you can edit essay online here.
With so many apps and programs easily available on their computers, many people seem to think that the built in spell checkers are all that is needed to catch their mistakes. What they fail to realize however is that the programs they may have invested so heavily in only have a limited ability and can never replace the years of experience that a skilled professional has. You can download sample essays for editing which have already been proofread and marked accordingly to show the mistakes which were made or there are other solutions which needn’t result in having to send your paper off to third parties if you’re on a tight budget. There are a great deal of sample proofreading pages floating around the internet which can provide good tips for error correction and how to carry it out thoroughly. However, our experts have come together to bring you editing sample tips that go beyond what you will find elsewhere, giving you the ability to hone your own skills.
Professional Sample Proofreading Tips to Get You Started
Paying attention to an editing sample can often improve the level of your work and help you to narrow the field in pinpointing what common mistakes are. There are, however, various techniques that professional editor’s use that don’t show up in any sample editing but which helps find mistakes that are included in the documents they are required to edit:
- Never perform any proofreading or editing tasks with tired eyes. Always take a break, especially if you have been writing, better still would be to start your checks after a good night’s sleep. Tired eyes make it virtually impossible to pick out small errors.
- Don’t get drawn into the content of what you are reading when looking for spelling and grammar mistakes. Disassociate yourself on the first few checks or you will tend to skip words and punctuation.
- Use a Spell Checker within the software to find the more obvious mistakes. Although you should never rely completely on these tools, they can save you time by catching the smaller mistakes, leaving you to focus more attention on being able to find others.
- When checking the words for spelling errors, try starting from the bottom of the page going through each line in reverse. This will help to individualize each word making it easier to check the spelling and the choice of wording used.
- Read the text out loud to yourself. In most cases, our ears pick up on things which our eyes often miss. This is a really useful technique for use on complicated or difficult content. If you find it difficult to repeat out loud, how then do you think the reader will get through it?
- Finally, once you have found every error you believe will ever be found, pass it on to a friend or family member to take a look through. It is often the case that those who check through their own work often miss things, however small and need another pair of eyes to offer constructive criticism, either with formatting tips or pointing out problems with sentence structures.
It requires a lot of time and patience to carefully go through your work, word by word and line by line to ensure that you find every error contained within your writing. While using a sample essay for editing can be a powerful tool to show you how to eliminate errors, what you should actually be looking for according to the experts is:
- Spelling errors, correctly used punctuation and capital letters used in the right areas
- Similar sounding words that differ in meaning: there / their, our / are, your / you’re etc.
- Correct use of commas, quotation marks, apostrophes and no double spaces after full stops
- Is the language pitched at the right level for the reader and do any terms need explaining?
- Check for misquotations, errors of fact, misspelled names, and misused words
- Plagiarism and copyright breaching
- A consistent style has been used throughout with logically arranged content
- Omissions and inconsistencies in typography, layout, and content
- Inelegant or confusing words, columns and page breaks
- Clichés, superlatives, acronyms and obvious statements
Why Not Let Our Experts Do It for You?
While a sample editing guide may help you get on with checking through your own work, there are no guarantees that you will find all of the mistakes, leaving your paper still in a state of erroneous writing which may distract the reader. In order to carry out our highly specialized proofreading services, we have the best professional essay editors that are available anywhere else online. We always aim to ensure that all of your needs are met with a perfect paper so that we retain your custom for all of your future needs. If you’re wasting valuable time going through every available service online trying to find the best one then you can stop now. We can provide you with the best proofreading sample written by experienced experts to help you present a perfect document each and every time.